Read Case Study 6-2, “Classification of a Bargaining Subject,” on page 285 in your textbook, and answer the questions provided. Please be sure to cite your sources and support your work with course concepts. Give your detailed answers and use course concepts to explain why you have provided your chosen answer. You will be graded on completeness of answers and support of answers through incorporation of course concepts.
1. What is a mandatory subject of bargaining?
2. Can a union waive its right to bargain over a mandatory subject of bargaining?
3. Would the established labor agreement apply to this case study?
4. Was management’s refusal to bargain over the subject of surveillance camera usage in the workplace a violation of the duty to bargain in good faith under the Labor Management Relations Act (LMRA) as amended? If so, what should be the appropriate remedy?
5. Discuss the merits of the parties’ respective positions in this case.