International Comparison of Health System Characteristics
The World Health Organization’s “Statistical Information System” is an interactive database that allows you to compare health indicators for multiple countries.
Compare data from the two countries you selected with the United States.
Consider the value of using standardized quantitative health measures or indicators to compare information internationally.
Create a table to record data related to three health indicators for the three countries (i.e., the two you have selected to compare with the United States, for a total of three countries).
• Analyze two or more defining characteristics of the U.S. health care system.
• Provide an analysis of how these characteristics compare to the characteristics of the health care systems of your selected countries. (Be sure to identify the countries in your posting.)
• Evaluate potential benefits and challenges for people in your selected countries based on the health system characteristics you have identified.
Write a 2-3 page paper in which you:
• Identify the two countries that you are comparing with the United States.
• Define the three health indicators you have selected for your analysis and explain why you chose them.
• Include the table you created to record and compare your data.
• Summarize the results of your comparison, sharing at least two insights that you gained through this analysis of health and disease in the United States and your two selected countries.
• Shi, L., & Singh, D. (2015). Delivering health care in America: A systems approach (6th ed.). Burlington, MA: Jones & Bartlett.
o Review Chapter 1, “An Overview of US Health Care Delivery” (pp. 20-28)
o Chapter 2, “Beliefs, Values, and Health” (pp. 52-73)
o Review Chapter 13, “Health Policy” (pp. 510-531)
o Chapter 14, “The Future of Health Services Delivery” (pp. 557-558)
Use the following websites as needed to identify countries on which to focus in your Discussion postings and the Assignment:
• The International Statistical Institute. (2015). Developing countries. Retrieved from http://www.isi-web.org/component/content/article/5-root/root/81-developing
• The World Bank. (n.d.). Country and lending groups. Retrieved March 27, 2015, from http://data.worldbank.org/about/country-and-lending-groups
Use the following website to conduct research on health system characteristics for your Discussion postings:
• OECD. (n.d.). Retrieved March 27, 2015, from http://www.oecd.org
Use the following resources for the Assignment:
• World Health Organization. (n.d.). Countries. Retrieved from http://www.who.int/countries/en/