Integration of Health Systems
Consider the ways in which two health systems are similar to and/or different from one another.
Assess the business and health care-related implications of horizontal and vertical integration of your selected health systems. How does integration impact the management of your selected organizations and the patients/consumers they serve, especially in terms of cost, quality, and access?
Select one of the following horizontally integrated health systems:
• National Surgical Hospitals
• Select Medical Healthcare
• Sunrise Senior Living
• Quest Diagnostics
• Pfizer Pharmaceuticals
Also select one of the following vertically integrated health systems:
• Kaiser Permanente
• Mayo Clinic
• Cleveland Clinic
• MedStar Health
• Memorial Hermann Healthcare System Houston
1) Compare the horizontally integrated health system and the vertically integrated health system you have selected (e.g., size, settings/locations, and types of services).
2) Explain each health system’s rationale for pursuing integration and the strategies it has used to achieve integration.
3) Assess the business and health care-related implications of integration for your selected health systems, including how integration impacts the patients/consumers the organization serves.