Answer in General Chemistry for azfar #152606
March 17th, 2023
what is matter?
Things that have mass and volume are matter. Mass provides a measure of the volume of matter and volume represents the amount of space taken up in space.
Matter can be classified as pure and non-pure based on its composition.
A substance that contains only one compound with a specific property, i.e. a constant composition, is called a pure substance.
A substance that contains several components is impure.
States of matter and their characteristics
- Glow: – Glow due to light falling on the material
- Hardness: – The material’s resistance to wear and tear
- Thermal conductivity: – The ability of heat to pass through a material
- Electrical conductivity: – The ability of electricity to pass through a material Color: – The colour possessed by the material
- Elasticity: – Flexibility when applied with force and reversing when the force is released
- Density: – Mass per unit volume
- Polarity: – The temperature at which a solid becomes a liquid during heat supply
- Boiling point: – The temperature at which a heat supply substance becomes gaseous.